Thursday, October 19, 2006

I wish there were UnDo commands in Life too

Yesterday, was an amazing day. Since morning I was feeling great. I had things lined up, and I was enjoying doing every small task I had in mind. I had written in my previous post that my hard drive crashed. I would have got my data the next day I wrote about it. I was desperately waiting for the person give me the address of the technician. But, as the saying goes .. "Had life been so easy!". Anyways, though I didn't receive any information about the technician till evening, I had my counter plans already in place. All my "What if ?" things and "What if not ?" things were in place. It was like a commander, having his infantary in very high spirits, ready for a war. I had to finish my work at my office, and then only I could go back home and do some self-learnt know hows. I was so anxious to try out the new things, but as the saying goes .. "Had life been so easy..". Finally the time came when I was out of my office, and then I had to take transport courtsey: Govt. of Karnataka, back home. The ride was a bit harsh, but I was not even thinking about it. Again, the excitement of seeing my PC working was more than all that I was going thru. Reached home, and connected my hard drive to my friends PC as slave. I got some tools, from the internet, and wanted to test them out on my HDD, these tools can read partition information and can help correct them. Anyways, in my mind, I always was having the curiosity factor building up but I delayed the diagnosis for sometime. First I freshened myself up, and pepped up with some boosters that I think I would have required. I still had read the information, didn't see it working on a hard drive live. I needed all my experience and all my strengths in my side and with right proportions to do the next thing. That was going ahead and running the tools on my HDD. First, I installed the tools on my friends system, and then started the application. The application reported error that something was wrong with Access mode and it was wrong. The partition information had changed statistics of my HDD in a way that I had 200 GB FAT-16 Drive. For all the people new to FAT-16, its just a file system used earlier by stone age DOS. No way it can access anything more than 2 GB. First I corrected this problem by selecting Access mode as LBA from my BIOS Menu. After this I started my application again, and tried to correct the problem by selecting Automatically rebuild partition table . This didn't help, so I scanned the disk and manually selected the partition tables. It showed me the partition information, and I had a XXL smile on my face.. "My Precious, I said". I wrote the partition table information. Fixed the HDD on my computer back and started ... Viola, it booted in Windows, I checked and all my partitions were back as they were earlier. How does it feel when you get back your 80 GB+ data?

No comments: